Pet Poison Prevention Tips

March is National Poison Prevention month, and while many of us are knowledgeable on poison prevention in humans, many are not so educated on poison prevention for their pets. It’s not as simple as keeping chocolates and cleaning supplies out of reach! In honor of National Poison Prevention month, we’ve gathered some poison prevention tips below to help you ensure that you’re keeping your pet safe.

What Is Poisonous to My Pet?
There are so many things in our homes that are poisonous, and potentially deadly, to our pets. Below we’ll break down the most common foods, medicines, plants, and household items that can be dangerous to your animals.

Medications
Acetaminophens (Tylenol)
Pseudoephedrines (Sudafed)
Albuterol
NSAIDs (Advil, aspirin, ibuprofen)
Hand sanitizer

Plants
Tulips
Daffodils
Azaleas
Yew
Dumbcane
Foxglove
Sago palm

Household Items
De-icing salts
Bleach
Fertilizer
Lawn and garden chemicals
Antifreeze
Slug bait
Rodent poison/rodent traps

Household cleaners

Foods
Chocolate
Grapes
Raisins
Yeast dough
Mushrooms
Onions and garlic
Macadamia nuts
Alcohol
Caffeine
Xylitol

Signs of Poisoning
If your pet ingests something poisonous, it’s imperative that you recognize the signs and symptoms and seek treatment as soon as possible. Common signs of poisoning include:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Weakness/collapse
  • Excessive thirst
  • Excessive urination
  • Racing heartbeat
  • Pale/grayish gum color

Early recognition and treatment are key to saving your pet’s life they consume something toxic. If your pet exhibits one or more of these symptoms, reach out to your veterinarian as soon as possible.

Poison Prevention Tips
With so many everyday items posing hazards to your pet’s health, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Luckily, poison prevention doesn’t have to be a difficult task. There are many simple things you can do to effectively care for your pet’s safety.

Secure all cleaning products, automotive products, and all prescription and OTC medications in separate areas, out of reach from pets (above counter height).

Read the labels on everything you bring into your home. Many product labels will have a warning if they are toxic to animals.

Do NOT administer any medications, prescribed or OTC, unless directed by a veterinarian.

Be prepared for an emergency if your pet accidentally ingests something poisonous. Have your local vet’s number on hand, the nearest 24-hour emergency vet’s phone number and address, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center phone number: (888) 426-4435, available 24-hours a day and 365 days a year.