When spring hits, so does itchy watery eyes, sneezing and wheezing for tons of people. In between tissues and sneezes, you have maybe noticed that your pet is relentlessly scratching as well.
More often than not they are itching because of allergies
Did you know pets can have allergies too? I’ve had pets my whole life but didn’t know this until a few years ago, our newest kitten started to scratch and scratch, leaving her with rashes under her fur. We rushed to the vet to see what it was, and it turns out her skin was irritated because she was rolling around in the yard during the spring. Soon enough the itching stopped and she got better.
Fleas and parasites can also cause itching
Flea bites itch, but on top of seasonal allergies your pet may also be allergic to these bites which causes them to itch even more. They also may have picked up mites such as scabies or demodex. These can cause itching and skin irritations all year, but in the spring as everything blooms and we spend more time outside, they are more likely to be an issues.
- First, make an appointment with your vet so you can rule out any type of parasitic or flea infestations. They may also recommend an OTC antihistamine like Zyrtec, but do not give this to your pet without consulting your vet first.
- Bathe them as often as possible with hypoallergenic shampoo/conditioner.
- Keep their hair short
- Use a topical salve (especially good for cats who generally don’t like baths)
- Make sure their diet is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help decrease inflammation
- Limit their time outside during high pollen count days
- Wash their paws after coming inside and vacuum often
No one likes to see their loved ones suffer from allergies day after day, but luckily there are things we can do to help. With any lucky they will outgrow the allergies like my cat, Gracie, did after a year or two.
Do your pets get itchy this time of year? Let us know in the comments what you do to help them through the scratch-fest. Also, don’t hesitate to contact us if your pet is itching and needs medicine while you’re away, we are happy to help!