Kitten season has hit and that’s why June is Adopt-A-Shelter-Cat Month. Thankfully there are things you can do to help the ever growing cat population. And you don’t always have to adopt in order to help. There are a lot of ways you can participate in adopt a shelter cat month.
How you can help a shelter cat near you:
Spread the word about animals in need
- Update your social media status! Post up a simple “June is Adopt-A-Shelter-Cat Month. Save a life: Adopt a cat! https://www.petfinder.com” on your Facebook or Twitter
- Share posts and articles from your local shelters or pet-adoption groups
- Add a Pet Finder widget or banner to your website
- Send a donation to shelters in your area
- Locate a shelter near you for a wish list of items you can donate (blankets, collars, food, baggies, etc)
Give your time
- Be a shelter volunteer
- Offer your time for special adoption events at shelters and pet stores – get the whole family involved!
- Be a pet foster parent
Spring is what shelters like to call, “kitten season.” This is because over the country there is an influx of thousands of new kittens born in a few short months. These new kittens join the already over-crowded cat population. According to DoSomething.org, there are approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter shelters every year. And out of those, about 3.4 million of them are cats. That’s why it’s extremely important to try and find ways to help.
Volunteering and getting the word out is one of the easiest and one of the most special things you can do. It can be a great way get the family together and give back. Plus, passing along the message to the next generation will only help.
Do you volunteer at a shelter or adoption events? Let us know of any opportunities in the comments below or on our Facebook page!